Brayden has been acting kind of weird at school. They called me on Monday and said that he was trembling and breathing shallow. I went to pick him up and he was sweaty and pale. When we got home he was better and playing with his brothers.
They then called me again on Wednesday, same symptoms. This time he was in Science and the teacher was so worried about him that she had someone from the office come and get him. I went and picked him up again. The rest of the day he was pretty shaky and lethargic. I called the Pediatrician and made an appointment for Thursday morning.
Thursday morning we went to the Dr.'s office. They ran a ton of tests (x-rays, took 2 vials of blood). The Dr. also listened to his lungs and said that he was wheezing pretty bad. They checked his oxygen and it was at 91 (they like it to be 91 or higher). The Dr. said to come back in a week and we would go over the results of all the tests. We then went out to lunch (I felt so bad for Brayden having to go through all that testing, he has never had to get blood taken before, he was so brave and calm during it all so I felt he deserved a little reward, not to mention we had been at the Dr.'s office for 3 hours). After lunch I took him back to school.
He had been at school for an hour when they called to tell me he was trembling and breathing shallow again. I went and picked him up and called the pediatrician, as I was driving to his office. We got there and they checked his blood sugar levels, it was normal. They checked his oxygen level, it was at 89. They had him blow into a peak flow meter, for his age they like it to be 214 and he was only 120.
The final diagnosis was that it is his asthma. The problem is that he is not that symptomatic, no coughing. The Dr. said that his oxygen level is hovering around 90 and that it drops every now and then to 89 causing his body to freak out and start trembling and breathing shallow. His body will then release endorphins and all is well, our bodies are truly amazing.
Anyway the Dr. said his x-rays showed that his lungs are pretty scarred up and that the airways are very constricted. Brayden is now on a steroid, breathing treatments with the nebulizer 4 times a day, hooked up to an oxygen machine at night, and a long term medicine to help his airways to open up.
I felt like Mother of Year finding out that my poor son could hardly breathe and I didn't even know it.
They then called me again on Wednesday, same symptoms. This time he was in Science and the teacher was so worried about him that she had someone from the office come and get him. I went and picked him up again. The rest of the day he was pretty shaky and lethargic. I called the Pediatrician and made an appointment for Thursday morning.
Thursday morning we went to the Dr.'s office. They ran a ton of tests (x-rays, took 2 vials of blood). The Dr. also listened to his lungs and said that he was wheezing pretty bad. They checked his oxygen and it was at 91 (they like it to be 91 or higher). The Dr. said to come back in a week and we would go over the results of all the tests. We then went out to lunch (I felt so bad for Brayden having to go through all that testing, he has never had to get blood taken before, he was so brave and calm during it all so I felt he deserved a little reward, not to mention we had been at the Dr.'s office for 3 hours). After lunch I took him back to school.
He had been at school for an hour when they called to tell me he was trembling and breathing shallow again. I went and picked him up and called the pediatrician, as I was driving to his office. We got there and they checked his blood sugar levels, it was normal. They checked his oxygen level, it was at 89. They had him blow into a peak flow meter, for his age they like it to be 214 and he was only 120.
The final diagnosis was that it is his asthma. The problem is that he is not that symptomatic, no coughing. The Dr. said that his oxygen level is hovering around 90 and that it drops every now and then to 89 causing his body to freak out and start trembling and breathing shallow. His body will then release endorphins and all is well, our bodies are truly amazing.
Anyway the Dr. said his x-rays showed that his lungs are pretty scarred up and that the airways are very constricted. Brayden is now on a steroid, breathing treatments with the nebulizer 4 times a day, hooked up to an oxygen machine at night, and a long term medicine to help his airways to open up.
I felt like Mother of Year finding out that my poor son could hardly breathe and I didn't even know it.
2 comments:
I am so sorry - I hope he is doing better. How scary for him, and by the way - you are a great mother.
poor guy! but at least you got the problem figured out. you are a nicer mom than me. i probably would have been mad thinking that he was trying to get out of something! haha
Post a Comment